Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Creativity in the classroom

I was browsing on YouTube website and found this interesting microteaching as a graduate student's final project on teaching the turn-taking strategy. In the beginning of the show, I thought it's just a practical topic to teach our ESL students because turn-taking is one of the most important element in the American discourse analysis.
The PowerPoint presentation seemed making quite a lot of sense, then the teacher used the amazing video clip as a source for students to debate over the topic of superpower. As instructed the students are required to use the given phrases which indicate lead-in for turn-taking in a debate.
I just think this is such a creative method to teach the theme of turn-taking strategy which can help integrate the four skills, especially after we are equipped with the latest technology.
No matter which side you take on the debate, please take a look at the video on the right, I am sure you'll be blown away by it.

2 comments:

bestmom said...

Well Pickachu, that was quite a show. However, the idea behind that is really great. I love this activity and the teacher's objective in using this activity. I think I need to implement that in my church class. Taking turn not only in debate but even in conversations. I remember in the reading of last week 564 class about learning to learn. Students were taught how to interrupt the teacher or their peers to ask questions for clarifications or answer questions.

This is really great.

travelsub said...

I think it is a great source. Thanks for bringing it up. It is something that is taught even at the elementary school level. I have seen and tried many activities for teaching children how to take turns. It is something that practically every elementary school teacher teaches students especially during the first weeks of the school year. It's nice to know there are lessons for teaching the same concept to adults in a different context.